If we did all things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.

– Thomas A. Edison

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Two Questions (MCQ) on Magnetic Effect of Electric Current

You will find many questions (with solution) involving magnetic fields on this blog, which can be accessed by trying a search for ‘magnetic field’ using the search box at the top of this page (or, you may click on the label ‘magnetic field’ below this post.

Today we will discuss two multiple choice questions on magnetic field produced by current carrying conductors:

(1) The adjoining figure shows a plane wire loop made of two semicircular portions of radii R1 and R2 and two straight portions. The wire loop contains a battery which drives a current I through the loop. What is the magnitude of the magnetic flux density at the common centre ‘O’ of the semicircular portions of this wire loop?

(a) (μ0I/2π)(1/R1 + 1/R2)

(b) (μ0I/4)(1/R1 + 1/R2)

(c) (μ0I/4)(1/R2 1/R1)

(d) (μ0I/4π)(1/R2 – 1/R1)

(e) Zero

The magnetic field produced at O by the straight portions of the loop is zero. The semicircular portion of smaller radius R2 produces a magnetic field μ0I/4R2 which is directed normally into the plane of the figure (away from the reader).

[Note that a single turn plane circular coil of radius R produces a magnetic field μ0I/2R at its centre].

The semicircular portion of larger radius R1 produces a smaller magnetic field μ0I/4R1 which is directed normally outwards (towards the reader).

The resultant magnetic field at the centre O has magnitude (μ0I/4R2 μ0I/4R1) = 0I/4)(1/R2 1/R1), as given in option (c).

[The resultant field is directed normally into the plane of the figure (away from the reader). The above question can be modified to check your understanding of this fact also].

(2) A current I enters a circular coil of radius R, branches into two parts and then recombines as shown in the circuit diagram.

The resultant magnetic field at the centre of the coil is

(a) zero

(b) μ0I/2R

(c) (¾)(μ0I/2R)

(d) (¼ )(μ0I/2R)

(e) (½)(μ0I/2R)

This question appeared in KEAM 2009 (Engineering) question paper.

The magnetic field produced at the centre by the straight current leads is zero. So it is sufficient to consider the fields produced by the circular portions.

The currents through the branches are inversely proportional to the lengths of the branches while the magnetic fields for a given current are directly proportional to the lengths of the branches. The magnitudes of the fields due to the two branches are therefore equal. Since the fields due to the branches are perpendicular to the plane of the loop and oppositely directed, the net field at the centre is zero. This argument is enough for answering the above question.

If you want to make your argument more rigorous, you will proceed as follows:

Since the longer branch is made of three quarters of the circle and the shorter branch is made of one quarter of the circle, the resistance of the longer branch is 3 times that of the shorter branch. The currents through the shorter and longer branches are therefore given respectively by

I1 = 3I/4 and

I2 = I/4

The magnetic field produced at the centre by the shorter branch is directed normally into the plane of the coil (away from the reader) and has magnitude B1 given by

B1 = (¼)(μ0I1/2R) = 3μ0I/32R, on substituting for I1.

The magnetic field produced at the centre by the longer branch is directed normally outwards (towards the reader) and has magnitude B2 given by

B2 = (¾)(μ0I2/2R) = 3μ0I/32R, on substituting for I2.

The fields B1 and B2 get canceled and the resultant field at the centre is zero [Option (a)].

[Note that in all situations of branching of current at a circular coil, if the current leads are straight and point to the centre of the coil, the magnetic field at the centre will be zero (the angle shown need not necessarily be 90º)].

Now, find an interesting question in this section here.

No comments: